Thornhill Parish Church
Serving the local community
The earliest monuments in the church are the 9th-century Anglo-Saxon stones displayed in the Savile Chapel, most are fragments of crosses, four with inscriptions. In the Savile Chapel are also several important tombs. An effigy of a knight in chain mail, thought to be Sir John de Thornhill (d. 1322). An alabaster tomb chest with eighteen 'weepers' (small kneeling figures) around it and effigies thought to represent Sir John Savile (d. 1481) and his wife. An oak tomb-chest set up in 1529 to commemorate alater Sir John (d. 1504) and his two wives. The tomb of Sir George Savile (d. 1614) and his wife Anne, marked by a massive Renaissance monument. An alabaster effigy of a later Sir George (d. 1622) carved by the famous sculptor Maximilan Colt. A monument to Sir George Savile of Rufford (d. 1743). Also displayed in the Savile Chapel are three earlier medieval cross slabs found in 1990 when the monument of the earlier Sir John was dismantled for conservation. Two show pairs of shears, a common female emblem, and a third a pair of scissors, perhaps denoting a tailor. A huge programme of conservation, cleaning and restoration is now complete (January 2015).
Acknowledgment to WY Archives Services’ History of the church for much of this text.
Great Heathen Army
The Army did not stick to the coasts, but went inland and roamed about, exacting tribute as it went (or ‘making peace’, as the chroniclers described it), which means the Army would promise not to attack if the people paid a considerable sum, and sometimes attack anyway even after the money had been paid. They first went north to York, ending a civil war between two contenders for the Northumbrian throne by killing both and taking control themselves. In 869, the Army went to East Anglia, killed king Edmund (and thus made him a saint), and used the area as a base from which to start a series of attacks on Wessex. In 871 they were joined by a ‘Great Summer Army’ which came over from the Continent, and they continued to harass Wessex and Mercia in the next few years.
The above is an extract from :
Changes in relations between Anglo-Saxons and Scandinavians 792-1042
Report on the monument to Sir George and Lady Anne Savile 1614
G E Street - architect of the restoration in c1880
GEORGE EDMUND STREET was born at Woodford in Essex on the 20th of June 1824. He was the third son of Thomas Street, solicitor, by his second wife, Mary Anne Miliington. George went to school at Mitcham in about 1830, and later to the Camberwell collegiate school, which he left in 1839.