Our Church is a Grade 1 Listed Building in the heart of the Thornhill Conservation Area. It is mentioned in Simon Jenkins book 1000 Best English Churches as a warm and welcoming place. This applies to our witness and worship as well as our building.
ALSO VISIT OUR RELATED SITE HTTP://WWW.THORNHILLPARISHCHURCHHISTORY.ORG.UK
Statement of Significance
Is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels and stands on the south side of the Calder valley, two miles South of Dewsbury. There has been a church on the site since Anglo-Saxon times. Since the late l4th century its history has been closely linked with that of the important Savile family. The church is of interest both as an historic building, for the important monuments and outstanding medieval stained glass which it contains and for its important place in the community today. It is a Grade 1 Listed Building in the heart of the Thornhill Conservation area. It is listed in Simon Jenkins’ book “
The development of the church
The church is first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, but the fragments of Anglo-Saxon memorials - crosses and a grave slab - indicate that there has been a church here since at least the 9th century. Fragments of stones carved in the
The nave of the church, probably an Anglo-Saxon or Norman structure modified and enlarged in the l3th century, was pulled down in the l8th century. In 1777 the medieval nave was rebuilt as a 'preaching box', in a mixed gothic and Classical style The dedication slab of the 1777 nave survives, as does a photograph of the nave. The Victorians condemned the 1777 nave as 'Churchwarden's Gothic' and 'in poor style'. It was rebuilt (with aisles again) in 1877-9 by the architect
(Part of display of runic stones)
see link to Collingwood's work on these http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/huddersfield/tolson/angles_danes/thornhill.htm
The building was restored in 2001 with a new stone floor, a re-display of the runic stones, a new entrance lobbyand new kitchen and toilets. In the
The Glass The medieval stained glass has been called the finest display in the north of
Picture: the famous Jesse Window
In 2010 our great concern was with the Savile Chapel windows and particularly the condition of the glass in the East window. Commonly called 'doom' but perhaps more accurately 'Resurrection' window. This window was removed in 2011 for safe keeping as it is too distressed to return to its space.The window will be displayed in a specially constructed display case in 2013. A new replica window was commissioned from Jonathan Cooke and is now in place. The windows on the North side of the chapel have just been cleaned and restored and protected by iso-thermal glazing,
See the link below for a recent article on the East window . We do not think there was ever coke heating in the church as suggested in this article-- we are almost on top of local coal mines and coal was delivered free as required.
Click here for vidimus page
The earliest monuments in the church are the 9th-century Anglo-Saxon stones displayed in the Savile Chapel , most are fragments of crosses, four with inscriptions In the Savile Chapel are also several important tombs. An effigy of a knight in chain mail, thought to be Sir John de Thornhill (d. 1322). An alabaster tomb chest with eighteen 'weepers' (small kneeling figures) around it and effigies thought to represent Sir John Savile (d. 1481) and his wife. An oak tomb-chest set up in 1529 to commemorate alater Sir John (d. 1504) and his two wives. The tomb of Sir George Savile (d. 1614) and his wifeAnne, marked by a massive Renaissance monument. An alabaster effigy of a later Sir George (d. 1622)carved by the famous sculptor Maximilan Colt. A monument to Sir George Savile of Rufford(d. 1743) Also displayed in the Savile Chapel are three earlier medieval cross slabs found in 1990 when the monument of the earlier Sir John was dismantled for conservation. Two show pairs of shears, a common female emblem, and a third a pair of scissors, perhaps denoting a tailor. A huge programme of conservation, cleaning and restoration is now complete ( January 2015)
Acknowledgment to WY Archives Services’ History of the church for much of this text.
click here for the above document
Report on the monument to Sir George and Lady Anne Savile 1614
click here to read
G E Street - architect of the restoration in 1880 ish
GEORGE EDMUND STREET was born at Woodford in Essex on the 20th of June 1824. He was the third son of Thomas Street, solicitor, by his second wife, Mary Anne Miliington. George went to school at Mitcham in about 1830, and later to the Camberwell collegiate school, which he left in 1839.
For a few months he was in his fathers business in Philpot Lane, but on his fathers death he went to live with his mother and sister at Exeter. There his thoughts first turned to architecture, and in 1841 his mother obtained a place for him as pupil in the office of Mr Owen Carter at Winchester.
Afterwards he worked for five years as an improver with Sir George Gilbert Scott in London. At an early age Street became deeply interested in the principles of Gothic architecture, and devoted an unsparing amount of time and labour to studying and sketching the finest examples of medieval buildings in England and on the Continent.
His first commission was for the designing of Biscoray Church, Cornwall. In 1849 he took an office of his own. He was a draughtsman of a very high order; his sketches are masterpieces of spirit and brilliant touch. In 1855 he published a very careful and well illustrated work on The Brick and Marble Architecture in the Middle Ages – notes of a tour of Italy, and in 1869 Some Accounts of Gothic Architecture of Spain, with very beautiful drawings by his own hand. Streets personal taste led him in most cases to select for his design the I3th century Gothic of England or France, his knowledge of which was very great, especially in the skilful use of rich mouldings.
By far the majority of the buildings erected by him were for ecclesiastical uses, the chief being the convent of East Grinstead, the theological college at Cuddesden and a very large number of churches, such as St Philip and St James at Oxford, St Johns at Torquay, All Saints at Clifton, St Saviours at Eastbourne, St Margaret’s at Liverpool and St Mary Magdalene, Paddington.
His largest works were the nave of Bristol Cathedral, the choir of the cathedral of Christ Church in Dublin, and, above all, the new courts of justice in London. The competition for this was prolonged and much diversity of opinion was expressed. Thus, the judges wanted Street to make the exterior arrangements and Barry the interior, while a special committee of lawyers recommended the designs of Alfred Waterhouse. In June 1868, however, Street was appointed sole architect; but the building was not complete at the time of his death in December 1881.
Street was elected an associate of the Royal Academy in 1866, and RA in 1871; at the time of his death he was professor of architecture to the Royal Academy, where he had delivered a very interesting course of lectures on the development of medieval architecture. He was also president of the Royal Institute of British Architects, a member of the Royal Academy of Vienna, and in 1878, in reward for drawings sent to the Paris Exhibition, he was made a knight of the Legion of Honour.
Street was twice married, first on the 17th of June 1852 to Mariquita, second daughter of Robert Proctor, who died in 1874, and secondly on the 11th of January 1876 to Jessie second daughter of William Holland, who died in the same year. The architects own death, on the 18th of December 1881, was hastened by overwork and professional worries connected with the erection of the law courts. He was buried on the 29th December 1881 in the nave of Westminster Abbey.
It was his philosophy that an architect’s personal style was synonymous with his moral dignity. He believed he was a privileged servant of Almighty God, who had entrusted him with an individuality, the due expression of which was part of the Divine Plan. Early influences nurtured his love of medieval Gothic and the High Church. His religion was a necessity to him and he served God as a devout High Anglican.
In these days of railways and rapid travelling there is scarcely any excuse for stopping quietly at home. The most busy man finds some short holiday in the course of the year, and, if wise as well as busy, spends it not in quiet sojourn at some watering-place, but in active search of the picturesque, the beautiful, or the old, in nature or in art, either at home or abroad.
George Edmund Street
Reproduced with permission of St James’s Sussex Gardens, London http://www.stjamespaddington.org.uk
Set out below is a copy of the text of the list description of this
Grade I listed building (Church of St Michael & All Angels, Church Lane,Thornhill, listed 30/6/49).
Church. Perpendicular west tower, probably C15, though the base may be earlier. North chapel (Savile chapel) 1447 extended by one bay1493. Chancel and South chapel 1490. Nave vestry and some restoration work 1877 by
3-light traceried windows. Gabled south porch has elaborate frieze to parapet carved with 8 angels and Christ in the apex. Moulded doorway with 3 engraved colonnettes with foliage capitals. Ribbed and vaulted internally. The square tower is in two tall stages with reducing diagonal buttresses. West door with moulded surround, west window probably C19. 8-light mullioned and transomed bell-chamber openings with 5-foiled lights and traceried heads crenellated parapet on corbel-brackets and 8 crocketted pinnacles. The north chapel east window is of 5 lights with cambered head. The tall chancel east window is much restored and of 6 lights Both have Perpendicular tracery.
Interior: Important collection of monuments to the Savile family in theSavile chapel: long effigy of a cross-legged knight in chain-mail with shield and sword, has head under a canopy, the face restored, thought to be of Sir John de Thornhill (c. 1260-1322); a tomb chest with alabaster effigy to Sir Thomas Savile (d. 1449) and his wife, the chest is divided into 18 ogee-headed panels with weepers; an oak tomb chest, 1529, formerly under a four-poster canopy, with effigies to Sir John Savile (d.1503) and his two wives, Alice Vernon and Elizabeth Paston.
The chest is panelled with elaborate quatrefoils; a large monument, between this chapel and the chancel, to Sir George Savile (d.1614) and his wife Anne, sister of Sir Thomas Wentworth. Paired columns to each side support a segmental arch with large achievement and figure to each
side and to top. At the foot of this on the north side is the
kneeling figure of their 2nd son, and on the chancel side a reclining
figure of their 1st son, holding a book and a skull, who died whilst
studying at Oxford; on the north side a dresser tomb to Sir George
Savile (d.1622) attributed to Maximilian Colt, an alabaster effigy in
armour with columns to left and right supporting an entablature with 2 cartouches, shield and crest, good detailing; in the north-east corner, a black marble sarcophagus on large square base, to Sir George Savile of Rufford (d.1743), signed by William Barlow. The back supports a pediment and has scrolled support; a small alabaster baby lying on its back and holding a basin for a font, to the 2nd Lord Savile (d.1931) by Amy Lewis. This was brought from Rufford Abbey in 1948. In the south chapel are C18 wall memorials to the Elmsall family and,an empty tomb recess in the south wall. At the base of the tower is a good mid C18 wall memorial, consisting of a cartouche with supporting cherubs, and a skull and wings at the base.Much original glass survives. In the Savile chapel a window on the north side has the name Thome Savill and the date 1447 (restored 1972).
The east window of the chapel, a 'doom window' and very faded, hasthe name Wiliam Sayvile and the date 1493 (restored 1953). The chancel east window bears the tree of Jesse, and was donated by Robert Frost, parson, and is dated 1499. Considerably restored in the C19. Other windows have fragments of early glass. Set in the screen between the chancel and south chapel is a stained glass escutcheon of Phillip Waterhouse (d.1614) bearing the motto BEE FAST.
The chancel is arcaded on octagonal piers, with C19 oak screens. The nave is arcaded on clustered piers. North chapel roof is panelled and original. Excellent chancel roof of C.1877 with traceried panelling and cusped and traceried bracings to the 6 irregularly placed tie-beams each of which ends in a well carved angel. Nave roof is arched braced. Octagonal panelled stone font with oak ribbed and crocketted cover c.1866. Elaborate stone pulpit. Organ placed in north aisle c.1981.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of
B. Nuttall, A History of Thornhill (inc. The
All Angels), 1970.
see also link to Savile papers in the National Archives
Rev John Michell BD FRS 1724-1793
Memorial to John Michell in tower of the church
Blue plaque to commemorate the work of John Michell.
The plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of Kirklees Cllr Jean Calvert on the morning of Saturday September 8th. The plaque was provided by 'Dewsbury Matters' At the ceremony, Chris Butlin, from the Institute of Physics, gave an address ©. click here to view He was dressed in the style of Henry Cavendish (a friend of Michell )and spoke as if he was Cavendish -.
A talk by Chris Butlin and a power point presentation is available with © copyright restrictions as above. click here to view
Dignitaries at unveiling
l to r.
Cllr Ahmed;Chris Butlin;Margaret Watson, Mayor, Head Science College- David Powell, Lindsay Dew (Rector)
Publications Nuttall, Barbara, History of Thornhill and guide to the Church of St Michael and All Angels Published by Kirklees Cultural Services and Thornhill Parish Church . ISBN 0 0900746 61 0 3rd edition 1995. NOW Out of Print consult it here
Nuttall, Barbara the Savilles of Thornhill- Life at Thornhill Hall in the reign of of Charles !. Published by the Author 1986. Price £5.00 P&P £1.50
Woodland,Adam - History of the Savile Family to 1640 click here to read
We also have various postards of the East Window and of the Church itself for sale.
contact e mail here for further information or send cheque for above amounts to Brian Pearson, 66 Henley Avenue Thornhill Dewsbury WF12 0LN England ( cheques payable to Thornhill Parish Church. )
The Organ Click here to read the organ brochure and specification Reprineted edition available £2.50 inc postage
organ case Binns 1
BELLS - see under the 'Our Activities section for the publication about the bells and under the photographs section for the installation in 1980
Rectory Park and Thornhill Hall new publication 2010 by West Yorkshire Archaeological service for Kirklees Council
Read it here